Hi there! And welcome to Craft Goodies. I'm thrilled that you've stopped by and hope you find something here that makes your visit a great one...

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

2x4 Flower Pot Tutorial

I've been battling my Internet service this morning, sometimes Vonage is not my friend...
 
Anyway, I'm working to get caught up an all these tutorials before releasing a few more projects.
Today we get the Flower Pots...
 

Here's what you'll need:

2 2x4 blocks
(one cut to 5 inches tall the other to 7 inches tall)
5 gallon paint stick
(cut to 2 4inch pieces)
2 Flower cutouts
(I used 1/4 in MDF and free handed a flower image.
You could also buy pre-cut pieces at the craft store or use a heavy cardboard)
1/4 dowel cut into 2 6 inch stems
wood glue
sand paper
paint and brushes
green ribbon (leaves)
something for the flowers center
(I made ribbon rosettes, use paper, buttons, a fabric flower, etc, get creative!)


Additional tools needed:
drill
1/4inch drill bit

Start by drilling a 1/4 in hole into the top center of each 2x4 block, about 1/2 inch deep


From there, start painting!
 Blocks and paint stick pieces brown, stem pieces green, and flower cutouts whatever color you want.


Once the paint is dry, sand down all the edges on the flower pot pieces and the flowers.



Assemble the flower pots by gluing the stick  piece onto the top of the block-be sure it's the end with the drilled hole! I also glued a small scrap of wood with a hole drilled into it onto the back of each flower just to help stabilize the piece.

Add a dab of glue to the end of the stem stick and insert it into the flower block. Let dry.

Add your flower center to the cutout piece.
 Once that is dry, place a bit of glue into the hole on the flower pot and insert the flower.
Tie a snippet of green ribbon onto the stem to form your leaves
and your beautiful garden is done!


Enjoy! And Happy Crafting!

8 comments:

MaryBerry Boutique said...

ooo these are cute:) Im excited for spring to be here. All this snow is crazy!

Kelly Tillotson said...

very cute!! i might add "bloom where you are planted" in vinyl on the "pots" i love your 2x4 projects!!!
thanks!
*kelly

Brenda said...

Hi Wendy!
Super cute! Love the spring touch! It makes me smile just looking a them!
Love, Brenda

Jennifer said...

thanks for sharing so cute! My next 2x4 prodject! Great idea for a mothers day gift. I will be linking back to yours for the tutorial after I make mine. http://mycreativeholidays.blogspot.com/

Laree said...

These are adorable! I'm needing some spring decor around here - I'm totally making these!

Alison @ mommadidit.blogspot.com said...

How fun! What a sweet welcome to spring!

Sweetened by Kagi said...

Hi,
I saw your link on a linky party- this is SO cute! Thank you for sharing :) I am now your newest follower, I hope you will follow me too! I look forward to your future blog posts

http://sweetenedbykagi.blogspot.com

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

How darn cute are these!? Love them
http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...