Hi there! And welcome to Craft Goodies. I'm thrilled that you've stopped by and hope you find something here that makes your visit a great one...

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ruffled Rug Tutorial...SYTYC Winning Project part 1!!!

I'm still shocked!

 Super thrilled and excited, but really shocked--I WON! I'm usally really great at second place, seems to be a trend for me, but not this time. I'm not quite sure how to handle it...
I guess I'll start with telling you how I made this little combo, starting with the rug.

This really was easy, just took a little bit of time.
I had a bunch of canvas drop cloth left over from my camp chairs so decided to use that as the base for the rug.


I knew the size of rug I wanted (4x5 finished) so I cut the canvas to just over double that
(4 ft 1 inch x 10 ft 1 in). Folded it in half, sewed the two side seams, flipped it right side out, tucked under 1/2 an inch and sewed it shut.

Using a sharpie and a yard stick I marked out the lines for my ruffles. I cut my ruffle fabric (jersey knit so I didn't have to hem it!) into 4 inch wide strips so my lines are 2.5 inches apart, allowing for lots of overlap.
I marked the rectangles all the way into the center until there wasn't enough room for another one and then just ran a single vertical line down the center.


From there I just started sewing! I am super great at "short cuts" so I didn't pre-ruffle my ruffles. I just tuck and gather as I go using my lines as a guide so things stay straight. But if you are a rule follower, go ahead and ruffle way, pin along the lines, and then sew.

I used approximately 4 yds of fabric, and cut my strips so that they were 4 yds long x 4 inches wide.


I sewed each line individually-finishing one square and then starting the next one with a seperate piece of fabric. Once I got to the center (that single vertical line) I ruffled the fabric down the center of the strip instead of the edge, using the line as my guide. That way, everything was filled in and looked finished.


Last, I went back through with a needle and thread and tacked down the ruffles at the corners and a few spots along each line of ruffle of keep the ruffles in place.

And then she's done! So cute and ruffle-y!
And just fantastic.

Thank you again, so much, for these past 10 weeks. I have loved every project and have added so many projects to my "to-make" list. The ladies I shared this season with are so very talented and inspiring.
Thank you and happy crafting to you all!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...